A forum for the respectful discussion of all things Northern Metis.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Summer is Done and Elections are Upon Us---Be Afraid...Very Afraid!

Goodness gracious flying day old bannock! What a summer it has been for this old Tanté; I spent it out in Yekooche Territory. Having survived another northern break-up (never doubt us old Metis we are as tough as nails) I spent the spring smoking and half drying beaver meat and tanned a couple of moose hides I had left in the ice over winter. Thanks to Kim Hodgson for this tip, the hair comes off slicker than pond scum if you lay the hide fur side down on the first fall ice and pull it out as soon as you can in th spring thaw! The first hide was a little stiff but it will make great mocasson soles. The second hide hung in the smoke house a wee bit longer than it should have...nuff said. The summer days in the interior were a treat, dry, sunny with cold clear nights. It reminded me a lot of the summers in the NWT along the Salt River. So I spent the spring and summer in good company, celebrated my wedding anniversary with my wonderful husband and got to spend time with family and friends (there never seems enough time). I am just now really giving some thought to the upcoming MNBC election and even more thought to an email I received from Mr. Henry in response to a request I had made of him. The last issue ties in quite strongly to his comments on my journalistic and blog attempt so I think I will address that in my next musings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelley, I think you should give serious thought to writing a book! The experiences you have had and the knowlege you have to share would make a great contribution to Metis life, past and present. For city-folk you provide a unique snapshot of life in the bush, the life that my grandmother and her grandmother lived without question! I must say that I envy you many parts of your life, including the gumboot-sucking mud (we call it muskeg around here), but I am no sure that I will rush out and give up my cablevision, high-speed internet and local Tim Hortons! On the other hand, there are satellite services for cablevision and phone, and if I didn't have Tim Hortons a five minute drive away, I might just appreciate it more....hmmm, food for thought!
Tomorrow being election day across the province, I hope that all who are eligible to vote GET OU TO THE POLLS. We carry our MNBC Citizenship Cards around in our wallets and purses...and some of us grumble that it was pretty costly to get this card....as I am sure it is, but we must remember that with the card comes the responsibility to vote and to attend meetings and make our voices heard...'nuff said for today!

Keep up the good work Tante Kelley, we need you lady!

Tánt Kelley said...

Well thank you kind person! I enjoy writing, although my post on Metis women and my honest academic approach at trying to understand and thus explain, has garnered me the proverbial "stink eye" from the esteemed Keith Henry. Ahh well such is life in the bush le'sigh and big shrugs. I am currently working on two projects; a collection of traditional Metis recipes (food, herbals etc.) and have a series of childrens books that will explain traditional life and introduce Michif words in the text.