A forum for the respectful discussion of all things Northern Metis.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Breakup Reflections

Hola! time flies by when you are old! Thank you for all the emails and requests, I finally have an afternoon to deal with them. A big hello to our friends at the Homeland Colours Blog (ya ya I know an extra "u" has mysteriously appeared in your blog title *wink*). If you look on the side bar you will notice I have added some links that explore and discuss Metis history and the significant role African Americans played in parts of the Metis Homelend. Now to the juicy stuff....Metis Health dollars and the Metis blogs that question. In the Homeland Derryl Sanderson http://www.derrylsanderson.blogspot.com/ from Manitoba continues to address some of the concerns the grass roots Metis and have expressed about mishandling of these funds at a federal level. Here in BC the MNBC has thrown their hands in the air, taken their toys and gone back to their own yard to play http://www.mpcbc.bc.ca/pdf/pr_news19_2.pdf, this unfortunately gives the impression of a wee one having a bit of sulk and pout cause he lost the game. Add to the mix that Earlene Bitterman although openly acknowledging the fear tactics leadership is silencing the People with " What has happened to the grassroots of the Métis Nation, and the free speech of the Métis nation. Many members have experienced, after inner turmoil in their Métis community, Lawyers letters from heads of Métis Organizations, silencing free speech and interference in their right to access to self governance." she goes on to decry these same peoples protective cloak of anonymity they choose to stave off attack on them or their families http://novametisnewslink.ca/editorial1.html . Come on Earlene that is hardly fair, write these people, gaurantee their confidence as other bloggers and journalists do, you may be pleasantly surprised at the validity of their claims. As for this old Northern Gal, hey...I will keep my head beneath the line of fire and contemplate the treasures the melting snow is revealing in my front yard. To the BC youth that has been commenting on Derryl's blog, feel free to contact me through this site and I will try to help you as I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Northern Metis Matters and the Northern Gal , south of ourselves.

There is recent initiatives that I have become to be aware of that our governance (MNBC) is interjecting into the communities to bring our confidence back. Our Grassroots community and the one I was born into are lost within the recent growth, the connection with governance has to be reconnected.

My thoughts and my writings about the Grassroots are truthful, since I am part of the grassroots community. I find myself pulled between two worlds, I love hunting, can dress a rabbit, gut and harvest a moose, and have taught my children also do such, and at the same time am drawn to the Governance. THow do we bridge this gap and still retain our culture and still able to intermesh our communities with the Provincial and Federal Governments. How do we stop the Dictation of those that think that they have our best interests at heart, but do not consult the local community. After all the Governance should be for "All the people, and "By the People"

I have also been the brunt of those Community rumours and those have short term goals for the nation, I have been served Lawyers letters from Metis Government after disinformation has circulated within the community. This style of Governance and miscommunication has to stop, we need to come to a new heading and a new awareness of who we as Metis people fit into Canada. I must also express that is was Disinformation from the "non metis community that has created this difficulty" Support your registry.
If you are truly Metis, the Metis community as much as I grew up into worked together, nurtured the children, and valued their elders. The Interference has created this atmosphere.

We have the Rights we are here, we can stop fighting each other after the governments threw a few crumbs our way to keep us appeased.

Get on with Ideas, pull your Artisans together those that can dream and see beyond the circle.

Our confidence is within ourselves. We have to make the future happen ...

Dont' worry I didn't forget about my article, and if you wished for more input just email me.
northern@pris.ca

Anonymous said...

For you
http://www.metiswomen.zu5.net
An Initiative that will hopefully get us Northern Metis women getting some ideas out there...
and stopping the Nasty rumour mill
E